Image Map

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Caramel Apple Bars

These ooey gooey Caramel Apple Bars combine all the flavors of caramel apples, along with shredded coconut & chopped walnuts, in a delicious magic bar that is perfect for fall!


If you would ask me today if I'm a competitive person, I would tell you no.....and, of course, I'd be lying. The truth is I'm extremely competitive....and I always have been! Just not in the most typical ways. When it comes to sports, for instance, my competitive drive is almost nonexistent. But you better believe I want to be GOOD at the things that are important to me. Like cooking. Or parenting. Or blogging. Or throwing a fun party. Or being a good daughter, sister, or friend.



As a kid, my competitive side was reserved mainly for all things academic. I wanted to be the best reader, writer, speller. I took pride in being moved to the highest levels in various subjects. I loved knowing that I got the best score in the class, or being asked to read out loud, or joining kids from the next grade level because I was as smart as they were! And I LOVED winning the spelling bee!! That's right....I was the spelling bee champ three years in a row....and there was nothing that could have made my grade school self happier.


I will never forget the first year I didn't win....how heartbroken I was! I got out on the word anonymous....and I still stand by the fact that that's a tricky word for a 4th grader! It's funny....because it's not like being spelling bee champ really got me anywhere. It didn't earn me friends, or popularity, or even a prize, really. Unless you count the blue ribbon I got to hang on my bulletin board. But that's not what being competitive is all about....at least not for me. For me, it's about a feeling. It's about knowing I'm good at something, which has always felt like a prize in and of itself. As an adult, of course, there is even less of a chance of "getting anywhere" because of my accomplishments. Heck - there isn't even a blue ribbon to take home! So...for those times when I really feel like I need a prize....I made these Caramel Apple Bars. They're ooey and gooey and delicious. Just the type of prize I want. And best of all, I can make them for myself anytime I think I deserve them....which.....of course, is pretty much all the time. And so can you!!


Caramel Apple Bars
1 box cake mix (I used Pillsbury Caramel Apple mix)
1 stick butter, softened
2 1/2 c. apples, chopped
1 c. walnuts, choped
1/2 c. shredded coconut  
12 Kraft caramels, cut in half
1 can sweetened condensed milk

18 additional caramels for caramel drizzle

1. Mix dry cake mix and softened butter in a medium mixing bowl. Press into the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch pan.
2. Top with chopped apples, walnuts, coconut, caramels, and sweetened condensed milk.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes, until dark golden brown.
4. Cool bars, then cut into squares.
5. Melt 18 caramels and 1 Tbsp. water in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.
6. Drizzle over cut bars, still in pan.



Enjoy!



Thanks for taking a peek inside my Lemon Tree Dwelling....
I hope you feel right at home!

12 comments :

  1. These look so decadent and like a variation of magic/7-layer bars? Yum!

    Christy @ Creating a Beautiful Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caramels, apples, coconut, and nuts? Sounds like a winner. I think we all need (and deserve?) this treat often. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Perfect for fall. Thanks for sharing this. I love making goodies this time of year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm caramel apples are sooo good! These bars looks terrific, very creative. I love that picture of the giant pile of them with all the gooey caramel dripping down the side. Yum!

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got to try these. GOOEY DELICIOUSNESS! 'Nuff said. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look amazing but none of my kiddos like nuts. Is there anything we could substitute to get a similar texture of crunch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. grape nuts cereal? i use it on salads for a good crunch - it may not stay as firm as a nut - but it shouldn't disintegrate to nothing...

      Delete
    2. Good question, Jen. Granola? Toffee bits?

      Delete
  7. These look Delicious! I love caramel and was looking for some good Fall recipes to try! Just dropped in from ducksnarow link party.
    Www.mamagetsitdone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow these look amazing! Stopping by from the Wonderful Wednesday party :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. all that caramel is KILLING me! they look amazing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! I didn't know that Pillsbury had a caramel apple cake recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Your comments make my day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...